My wife started as a tech teacher recently. She suggested that for the open house, I show off The Long Way Down, since she will be teaching game design soon. I figured that it was a good of a chance as any to update the game and add the things that I thought it was always missing. There were initially two of those, but that grew into a full new version gradually.
Originally, I wanted a rocket launcher in the game. Mostly just because rocket launchers are cool. (Though I will admit that Halo 2 played a huge part in my love of rocket launchers.) Adding that in had me digging through the code, and while I was figuring out how my own spaghetti worked, I put in a second weapon as well.
The other thing I wanted to add was a greater variety of upgrades. They appear on the screen in a random order, and the reason was always so that you could pull from a larger list. However, time constrained me and I ended up with three upgrades that appeared in a random order for no real reason. With this update, I was able to put in more upgrade variety.
The co-op mechanics also have changed somewhat, with the ability to revive each other. This let players play more, and spend less time dead. Just something I thought of after the fact, I suppose.
I hope you enjoy the new update. I enjoyed revisiting the game after over a year.
For more, check out https://www.facebook.com/GamesByJacob. Since starting there, I've published a few games for Android, which may end up making their way here as well.
The game has been updated with new features and bug fixes!Just download the new file and replace the old .exe. Patch notes:
- 2 new weapons!
- The Rocket Launcher was something I wanted in the game from the start. Shoots one powerful shot, doing more damage than anything else in the game, with a higher area of impact to boot!
- Don't feel like aiming? The Homing weapon might be for you. It shares a lot of properties with the machine gun, but does less damage. This is offset by having each bullet seek the nearest target. Spray and pray!
- New level chunks!
- New upgrades!
- At the end of each level, there is a chance to see new upgrades.
- The orbiter spins around you to do damage to nearby enemies. Buy more to extend their radius.
- Speed shoes increase your movement speed, which may work for or against you.
- Explosive Bullets make all weapons (except for the lazer and boomerang) do explosive area damage.
- Playing 2 Player mode but died? Why wait until the next level? If your teammate touches you, you'll respawn instantly. Cooperation is now more important than ever!
- Clicked on 2 Player mode, but changed your mind? Press escape or wait 10 seconds to back out.
- Small and insignificant bug fixes here and there!
Get The Long Way Down
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.